Friday, February 5, 2010

Flagstaff, AZ through San Diego, CA

Brian: We sort of made plans to couch surf with a girl in San Diego tonight, but as you may remember, we are in Flagstaff, Arizona. That's exactly 500 miles away. We'd better get driving. Megan gave us a library of sci-fi books to take with us and we grabbed some breakfast at Subway before hitting the road for the long haul. Within about an hour, the snow drifts had converted seamlessly into sand dunes. Arizona is a crazy state.

Nick: You know what Pinto, I think I'm gonna have you drive for a while. I'm going to take a nap... Mm, that was a nice thirty minute break from driving, I'm glad we swapped places for a while. What? The gas indicator is literally on zero? And the maintenance light is on? OK, OK, no problem, there's an exit with a gas station, just pull over there. Oh, hey gas station, you're out of gas? No, that's cool, really. I started limbering up in expectation of a long, cold hike while for the next twenty miles, Brian pulled some of the most fuel efficient motoring techniques I'd ever seen. The universe continues to guide our path, and we eventually coasted our way into the next gas station. Which had gas, hallelujiah. Next stop, couch surfing host Julie's place. I think.

Brian: Julie was cool and super DIY (Do-It-Yourself) which would explain why her entire house was a construction project. Remember Chet, the out of work contractor from Flu, I mean Sioux Falls, SD? She put him to shame. Julie recommended a dinner establishment that served wonderful chicken chimichangas. I'm going to be trying to kick this burrito addiction for months. Hey, I got a text message! Enter the greatest birthday gift I've ever received. Nick had secretly contacted Jade from Philadelphia. Oh you remember Jade, the girl we couldn't shake and ended up having to run from. You know, the girl that left her cell phone and ID with a cab driver she never paid? And in typical Jade style, the text message came a full day late. Thank you, Nick.

Nick: Anytime. It's important to maintain contact with people that mean something special to you. Soon, Brian and I slowly sank into a burrito-induced coma and passed out around 9. Never gonna be over Mexican food and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment