Saturday, November 14, 2009

Minneapolis, MN through Fargo, ND

Brian: Howdy. If you have some spare time in the next couple of days, take a look at a map of the country between Seattle and Minneapolis. Oh you didn’t see any major cities? Yeah, we didn’t really see any either. As a result, our next couple of days will be at least 50% driving, and probably about 30% sleeping. Add in eating and bathroom breaks and that means that only about 7.2% of our time for the next couple of days will be spent engaging in blog-worthy activities. Not to mention the fact that the towns we will be staying in aren’t exactly hubs of civilization and excitement. Our first stop in this barren wasteland is Fargo, North Dakota. Our friends in Madison told us that this place is crazy. Like seriously, there’s nothing like it.

Nick: Really? Fargo? Brian, are we sure we’ve got the right place? The only thing I see constituting the adjective “crazy” is the crazy number of people walking and driving around that seem like they just really don’t want to be in Fargo. It didn’t take long for me to be added to their numbers. After a substantial blog session, (what else were we gonna do?) we found a local pool hall that had pretty good rates and hunkered down to shoot a little 8-ball. Four hours of 8-ball.

Brian: It was a good night for me because I got to do some serious work on my billiards game. The trick is to stay slightly tipsy the whole time in order to create conditional memory. Next time I want to be good at pool I just need to pound a few beers. But beers or no, I can say with no ego that I improved at a pretty rapid pace. You might even call me a progeny. Eleven o’clock rolled around and we still hadn’t heard from our host. It was time to give Dan a call (notice this is the first man we are staying with).

Nick: For safety reasons. But as Brian mentioned earlier, this road trip has changed. We’re out in the wild now. We can’t always be choosy with who we stay with. Dan was nice enough, but we made it kind of an early night. Did I mention there wasn’t a lot going on in Fargo?

Brian: I think another reason that we made it an early night was because Dan’s roommate had recently replaced every light in the apartment with black-light bulbs. Combine that with a bunch of black-light specific commercial hippy art ala Spencer’s gifts and I think it’s easy to see why we didn’t last very long. Next stop, Sioux Falls, SD. Nick and Brian out (to be pronounced with a Canadian accent).

No comments:

Post a Comment